1 pound bulk sausage (I used chorizo)
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
16 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
18 large pastured eggs
1 small package fresh basil leaves cut chiffonade (in thin ribbons)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder
- Brown chorizo in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove sausage with a slotted spoon into a 9x13 casserole dish, letting the fat drain back into the skillet.
- Remove all but about 1 Tbsp fat from the skillet and add onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Saute over medium heat for 5 minutes. Spoon mixture over chorizo.
- Break eggs into a large bowl. Add seasonings. Blend with an electric hand mixer until frothy on top, about 4 minutes.
- Pour into casserole dish. Cover dish and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake casserole for 40 minutes or until browned on top and firm in the middle.
- Sprinkle basil over the top and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.