Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Baked Honey-Mustard Ham

I love ham--well, anything from a pig, really.  Ever since I did my sugar detox in January, where I also cut out all processed meats, I have avoided it. But for Easter, it's an easy addition to our brunch spread. I was very pleased to see a Niman Ranch ham at Costco so I snatched up a big one! Be sure to bring your ham to room temperature before cooking to help it stay moist. Enjoy this simple recipe.

Adapted from www.food.com.

Ingredients
One 5-pound ham
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 cup raw honey, liquified
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp pure orange or pineapple juice

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. Place ham, skin side up in a roasting pan. Bake, loosely wrapped in foil, for 20 minutes per pound of ham (about 1 hour and 40 minutes).
  3. While ham cooks, whisk together honey, mustard, and juice in a small bowl.
  4. Remove ham from oven and use a sharp knife to score fat in a diamond pattern.
  5. Brush with honey glaze.
  6. Return ham to oven and continue to bake uncovered for 20-30 more minutes, basting every 10 minutes with the pan drippings.

No comments:

Post a Comment