Friday, March 18, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Well, I've got to say that I love this recipe. First, I love buffalo chicken...the spicy hot sauce cooled on your tongue with creamy ranch dressing. What's not to like? This recipe was super easy to make, especially if you prep the dressing a day or so in advance. You can use any leftover dressing for salads throughout the week. The lettuce cups and toppings are a cinch to put together and, again, can be prepped in advance (preferable on your food prep day). I like to use Boston lettuce, but Romaine would also work. Double up the lettuce leaves if they are small or have holes. Also, be sure to use a paleo-friendly hot sauce, such as Frank's Original. This is a great meal to serve family style. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Adapted from skinnytaste.com.

Serves 6.

Ingredients
Chicken
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 small or 1/2 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk celery
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup cayenne pepper sauce (I use Frank's Original.)
Wraps
8 large lettuce leaves
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
2 stalks celery, cut into two-inch matchsticks
paleo ranch dressing

Preparation
Be sure chicken is covered with broth.

  1. Place chicken, onions, garlic, celery, and broth in a crock pot. The broth should cover the chicken. If not, add a little water.
  2. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours, until it is easily shreddable.
    NOTE: If you need to leave it in the crock pot for a longer period (e.g., when you are at work), start out with frozen chicken breasts so that they don't overcook.
  3. Carefully pour liquid from crock pot, reserving 1/2 cup in the crock pot. Use two forks to shred the chicken.
  4. Add 1/2 cup of hot sauce and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
  5. To serve, fill each lettuce cup with chicken and top with carrots and celery. Drizzle with paleo ranch dressing and serve with additional hot sauce, if desired.

8 comments:

  1. I can't subscribe! When I enter my email address
    8hands4jesus@dslextreme.com
    and click on SUBSCRIBE, I get
    http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify
    and
    Not Found
    Error 404

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about the technical issues, Paula. My "tech team" is working on it but it appears to be a feedburner issue. We'll try to get it worked out soon. In the meantime, please keep checking in for new recipes. You can also Like the Paleo Table facebook page. I always post a link when I put new recipes on the blog.

      Delete
  2. This is about to go in the crockpot! I loooove Buffalo Chicken, especially when it's this simple. Thanks, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Leslie! How did you like it? I thought it was so good..especially for so little effort! Thanks for the note!

      Delete
  3. Oh man!!! This was so good! It's great when the whole family likes it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! I'm so glad you and your family enjoyed it!

      Delete
  4. Hi, just wondering what is/ where to get paleo ranch dressing? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Anon! If you click on the link above, it takes you to my recipe for paleo ranch dressing. It's delicious!

      Delete