Adapted from www.foodnetwork.com.
2 bone-in ribeye steaks (or your favorite cut of steak)
freshly ground pepper
extra virgin olive oil
Plan ahead: Bring meat to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Place skillet in the oven while you prepare the meat.
- Coat steaks with olive oil and season both sides generously with salt and pepper or your favorite steak seasonings.
- When oven is to temperature, use hot mitts to carefully remove hot skillet from the oven and place it over high heat on the stovetop.
- Place steaks in the dry pan and cook, without moving the steak (except for turning), for 30 seconds on each side.
- Use tongs to flip the steak and, using oven mitts, place the pan immediately into the hot oven for 2 minutes. (Remember that the skillet is still hot.)
- Flip steaks and cook for an additional 2 minutes for medium rare. Continue cooking for a minute or two if you prefer a different degree of doneness.
- Remove skillet from oven, transfer steaks to a cutting board, and tent loosely with foil for two minutes.
- To serve, slice and fan the steak on a plate or serve whole.