1 pound ground turkey
4 large zucchini squash
1 large fennel bulb
2 cloves garlic
4 Tbsp prepared pesto
extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp chopped walnuts, toasted
- Prepare the zucchini by shaving one side with a peeler (I use one like this OXO Y-peeler) or mandoline (like this OXO slicer). Discard (or compost) the outer layer and continue shaving long, thin strips until you reach the seedy core. Flip the zucchini and repeat the process on the opposite side. When you reach the center, repeat the same process on either side until all you have left is the core. Save the core to chop up and mix in with your eggs in the morning.
- Slice fennel into matchsticks, discarding the core. Dice onion and mince garlic.
- Warm two large skillets over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp oil to each pan. Add turkey and onion to one pan. Saute for 5-10 minutes or until turkey is cooked through and onion is translucent.
- In the other pan, add fennel and saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic and zucchini and continue to saute until zucchini is tender and garlic is fragrant, about 5 more minutes. Both pans should be ready at about the same time.
- Transfer turkey mixture into zucchini mixture and add pesto. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Toss to combine. Drizzle with lemon juice and toss again.
- Transfer to bowls and garnish with walnuts.