1 spaghetti squash
3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
3/4 pound grass-fed ground beef
26 ounce jar of your favorite natural pasta sauce (I used Gabriel's All Natural Puttanesca Sauce.)
2 Tbsp toasted pine nuts, optional
- Cook meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add pasta sauce and simmer for 15-30 minutes. (This can be shorter if you are in a hurry.)
- While meat cooks, pierce the squash several times with a fork or sharp knife, being sure to pierce all the way through to the middle.
- Microwave whole squash at 70 percent power for 15 minutes. Check to see if skin is softened, then continue to microwave in 5 minute increments until skin is very soft and pliable.NOTE: Be sure NOT to cook on full power AND that you pierce the squash all the way through, otherwise, you may end up with a squash explosion in your microwave.
- Remove squash from microwave and let it rest for 5-10 minutes to let it finish steaming.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out and discard the seeds. Scrape squash "noodles" from skin into a bowl and keep warm.
- To serve, divide spaghetti squash evenly among four bowls. Top with meat sauce. Garnish with pine nuts, if desired.