Adapted from Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals, Mark Sisson and Jennifer Meier.
4 cups dried gourmet mushrooms
3 Tbsp butter or olive oil
1 large bunch of asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 - 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
sea salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
- Lightly season the steaks with salt and pepper and cook using your favorite method.
- As the steaks cook, place the mushrooms in a bowl with just enough hot water to cover them. Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and set aside for at least 15 minutes. Drain mushrooms, reserving liquid. Chop larger pieces of mushroom, if needed.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm butter or olive oil (or a combination of the two), then add shallot, garlic, and asparagus. Saute 3 - 5 minutes, stirring so the garlic doesn't burn.
- Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt and saute one more minute.
- Add 3/4 cup of reserved mushroom broth and turn the heat up to high, bringing the liquid to a rapid simmer for 5-8 minutes. Add additional mushroom broth, as needed.
- Season with sea salt and serve asparagus and mushrooms with steak.