Makes 8 burgers.
1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 cup pecan halves, toasted
1 8 oz container mushrooms, sliced (I used baby bellas.)
2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
8 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
freshly ground black pepper
good quality balsamic vinegar
1 large bunch arugula
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- Saute bacon, onion, and mushrooms in a large skillet over medium-high heat until bacon is cooked through and onions and mushrooms are soft, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine ground beef, egg, and vinegar in a large mixing bowl.
- Transfer cooled bacon mixture to the bowl of a food processor. Add pecans and process until finely chopped. Add to ground beef mixture.
- Use your hands to combine all of the ingredients. Form into 8 patties. Season lightly with salt and generously with pepper. Place a piece of heavy duty foil coated with coconut or olive oil on the grill grate. Place burgers on the foil and grill for 5 minutes on each side or until the burgers reach your desired degree of doneness.
- While burgers cook, toss arugula and cucumber with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Divide evenly among plates.
- Serve burgers on top of arugula. Drizzle with additional balsamic, if desired.