5-6 large ripe tomatoes
1 pound nitrate-free bulk Italian sausage
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed dry
1/2 cup Spanish green olives, sliced
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, cut chiffonade or in thin ribbons
freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch salad greens
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Saute sausage, onion, and zucchini over medium-high heat until sausage is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, using a tomato knife, cut around the top edge of each tomato, remove top, and use a spoon to scoop flesh into a small bowl. Drain tomato flesh in a colander, discard juices, and add drained flesh to sausage mixture, continuing to cook until well incorporated.
- Place tomato shells in a rimmed baking dish.
- After sausage mixture is cooked, remove from heat, add basil and olives and stir to combine. Fill tomatoes with sausage mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- To serve, place a bunch of salad greens on each plate, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Place tomato in the center of each plate.