Serves 3 - 4.
1 1 lb flank steak
1 1/2 lb or 2 bunches kale
1 Tbsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 pieces prosciutto, chopped
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup chicken stock or broth
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
|Cut butternut squash in 1/2-inch cubes.|
- With a whisk, combine 1/2 cup olive oil and 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar in a glass baking dish.
- Season flank steak with sea salt and pepper. Put steak in the baking dish and turn to coat. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. (Steak can be marinated in refrigerator up to a day ahead.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large shallow pan, melt coconut oil. Carefully remove hot pan from oven, add cubed butternut squash, and toss to coat. Roast squash until just soft, about 20 minutes. (This can be done ahead of time.)
- While squash is roasting, preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- Add 2 pieces chopped prosciutto and saute 2 - 3 minutes or until crisp. Remove prosciuto from pan and set aside.
- To the same pan, add thinly sliced onion. Add a little more olive oil, if needed. Saute until onion begins to soften and brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tsp olive oil to pan with onions. In batches, add kale and saute until wilted, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup chicken stock, 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, and squash cubes. Toss gently to combine. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While kale is finishing, grill flank steak and let rest until ready to serve.
- Serve kale topped with crispy pancetta.