Makes 6 burgers.
2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
1 large carrot (about 1/2 cup), finely chopped
2 small zucchini squash, finely chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
1 egg, slightly beaten
freshly ground black pepper
6 eggs, fried or poached
2 small tomatoes, sliced thin and sweated on paper towels
1 small head lettuce, cleaned and separated
1 medium red onion, sliced thin
1 small handful of basil leaves, washed and cut into thin ribbons or "chiffonade"
- Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and saute 5-10 minutes or until soft and fragrant. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool slightly.
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- Add ground beef and egg to the cooled mixture and use your hands to thoroughly combine the ingredients. Be careful not to compact the mixture too much.
- Form mixture into 6 patties. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Grill burgers to your desired degree of doneness.
- To serve, distribute lettuce leaves evenly among plates. Top each with a burger. Layer onion, tomato, egg, and basil on top of each burger. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.