Friday, March 11, 2011

Steak Bruschetta with Spaghetti Squash

Brushetta was a turning point for me. Many years ago, I would never eat a raw tomato. They did nothing for me...until one day we were at a party and one of my college friends brought the most amazing brushetta. It looked so tasty and fresh, I had to try it. It was love at first bite. Ever since, I have incorporated raw tomatoes into many recipes. I'm still not one of those people who can eat them like an apple, but I do enjoy them. This meal is a great way to use my huge bounty of fresh tomatoes! Bruschetta on it's own is completely paleo, but I wanted to transform it from appetizer to main course so I added inexpensive sirloin steak (not ground sirloin) to the mix. It was delicious! We enjoyed it over spaghetti squash, but it would be just as good mixed in with any mixed greens and eaten cold, or tossed warm with grilled vegetables such as peppers, carrots, and zucchini. Toss the leftovers in with eggs in the morning for a quick breakfast. Enjoy!

Makes about 7 cups.

Ingredients
1 pound top sirloin steak (I used two 8-ounce steaks.)
6 cups cored and diced tomatoes (I used about 8 medium tomatoes from the garden.)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium red onion, diced, about 1/2 cup
1/2 cup basil leaves, cut chiffonade
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 medium spaghetti squash

Preparation
  1. Prepare spaghetti squash by perforating the skin several times with a sharp knife. Be sure the knife goes all the way through to allow the squash to vent. Microwave at 70 percent power for 15 minutes. Continue to microwave at 70 percent power in 5 minute increments until the shell is soft (usually 5 to 10 more minutes). Let rest for 5 minutes. Halve the squash lengthwise, scoop out and discard the seeds, and scoop the strands into a bowl.
  2. While squash cooks, prepare the rest of the ingredients. Cook sirloin by seasoning with salt and pepper and grilling over medium-high heat until medium rare; about 3-4 minutes on each side. Let cool slightly and cut into small dice. Cut tomatoes, garlic, onion, and basil.
  3. Gently mix the sirloin, tomatoes, garlic, onion, and basil in a medium bowl.
  4. Drizzle with oil and vinegar. Toss gently to coat.
  5. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
  6. To serve, divide spaghetti squash evenly among plates or shallow bowls. Top with bruschetta. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment