Makes about 7 cups.
1 pound top sirloin steak (I used two 8-ounce steaks.)
6 cups cored and diced tomatoes (I used about 8 medium tomatoes from the garden.)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium red onion, diced, about 1/2 cup
1/2 cup basil leaves, cut chiffonade
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
freshly ground black pepper
1 medium spaghetti squash
- Prepare spaghetti squash by perforating the skin several times with a sharp knife. Be sure the knife goes all the way through to allow the squash to vent. Microwave at 70 percent power for 15 minutes. Continue to microwave at 70 percent power in 5 minute increments until the shell is soft (usually 5 to 10 more minutes). Let rest for 5 minutes. Halve the squash lengthwise, scoop out and discard the seeds, and scoop the strands into a bowl.
- While squash cooks, prepare the rest of the ingredients. Cook sirloin by seasoning with salt and pepper and grilling over medium-high heat until medium rare; about 3-4 minutes on each side. Let cool slightly and cut into small dice. Cut tomatoes, garlic, onion, and basil.
- Gently mix the sirloin, tomatoes, garlic, onion, and basil in a medium bowl.
- Drizzle with oil and vinegar. Toss gently to coat.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- To serve, divide spaghetti squash evenly among plates or shallow bowls. Top with bruschetta. Enjoy!