Makes one double-layer cake or 24 cupcakes.
Adapted from www.primal-palate.com.
3/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
1 cup coconut oil, liquified
10 whole pastured eggs
1 pound peeled carrots, shredded in a food processor
1 cup pure maple syrup (reserve 1 Tbsp for date mixture)
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
10 pitted dates
1 cup chopped raw walnuts for garnish
8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup maple syrup
- Place shredded carrots in a medium bowl. Pour syrup over the carrots and let them marinade in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Prepare two 9-inch cake pans by lightly coating with coconut oil. Cut parchment paper to fit in the bottom of each pan and place it over the oil.
- Place dates in a small bowl. Add one Tbsp very hot water to the bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Place date mixture and 1 Tbsp maple syrup in food processor and process into a paste.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and coconut oil to date paste in food processor and process until smooth.
- Sift coconut flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda into a small bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and pulse to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Drain carrots and fold into batter.
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- While cake bakes, prepare frosting (see below).
- Run a knife around the edge of the cake and transfer to a cooling rack.
- When the cake is completely cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting and garnish with walnuts.
- In a large, deep bowl, use an electric mixer to whip the cream until stiff peaks form.
- In another large bowl, whip together the cream cheese and maple syrup until well combined.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture using a rubber spatula.
- Spread or pipe onto cupcakes or cake.