Adapted from www.realsimple.com.
2 small fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
1 large red onion, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
6 cloves garlic, smashed
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 bunch fresh thyme
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
4 6-ounce wild salmon fillets
juice of 1 small or 1/2 large lemon
1/2 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
|Spread vegetables in a single layer.|
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place fennel, onion, garlic, tomatoes, and thyme on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Carefully remove pan and use a spoon to push vegetables to edges of the pan. Place salmon fillets in the center. Season with the remaining salt and pepper, and drizzle with lemon juice. Return to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until salmon is cooked through.
- While salmon cooks, place cauliflower in a food processor and pulse several times until the cauliflower is a rice-like consistency. Transfer the cauliflower rice to a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes of until cauliflower is tender. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
NOTE: I recently started covering my microwave foods with a dinner plate instead of plastic or paper to keep chemicals from leaching into our food.
- To serve, divide cauliflower rice evenly among four plates. Set salmon fillet on the rice and top with fennel mixture.