Adapted from www.justinowings.com.
Makes 6 good-sized slices.
1 pound grass-fed ground beef
1 pound nitrate-free bulk Italian sausage
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper (optional)
1 cup of your favorite all-natural jarred tomato sauce (I use Gabriel's brand.)
1 green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp olive oil
any other pizza toppings of your choice
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Warm oil in a large cast iron or other oven-proof skillet. Add green pepper and onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes or until fragrant. Remove from pan and set aside.
NOTE: Add any other veggies of your choice, such as mushrooms, at this step.
- While vegetables cook, combine spices in a small bowl.
- Place beef, sausage, and egg in a large mixing bowl. Use your hands to thoroughly combine. Add spice mixture and continue to mix until the spices are evenly distributed.
- Transfer meat mixture to skillet and press down to form a deep-dish style meatza crust. Place in oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven and pour off any grease. Pat the top of the crust with a paper towel to absorb any residue.
- Set oven to broil.
- Top crust with tomato sauce, then veggie mixture, and other toppings of your choice.
- Place meatza under broiler for about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 2 minutes. Cut into wedges and enjoy!
|Crust before cooking.|
|Crust after cooking.|