Sunday, February 27, 2011

Bison Roast Wrapped in Prosciutto


I have heard so many benefits of bison, so when I saw it offered through Door-to-Door Organics, I decided to give a bison roast a try. My fear was that it would get dried out. I typically cook a roast in the crock pot, but I knew that wouldn't work for this roast. Bison is very lean and I wasn't in the mood for dry, grey meat. After a little investigation, I found this recipe for bison wrapped in prosciutto. The prosciutto adds the fat needed to keep the bison moist. Be careful not to overcook the meat. A meat thermometer can help ensure the temperature reaches 145 degrees F for medium rare. If you cook it much longer, you risk drying it out. I cooked this in my countertop toaster/convection oven. The times my vary a little bit in a conventional oven. I also want to apologize right now for the lame pictures. I clearly need both a photography class and a class in meat tying! I recommend this meal for a day you can wrap the bison in advance, or on a day when you can start your prep early. The results are delicious and the leftovers are great chopped on a salad or in eggs.

Adapted from culinaryalchemist.blogspot.com.




Serves 6.

Ingredients
4 ounces prosciutto
1 package fresh sage leaves
2-pound bison roast
freshly ground black pepper

Preparation
Overlap prosciutto and top with sage.
Top with roast and then more sage.
Top with prosciutto and then tie it all up.
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Remove any twine from bison roast.
  3. Place a piece of parchment or waxed paper on top of your preparation surface.
  4. Lay 4-5 pieces of prosciutto slightly overlapping across the waxed paper. Top with half of the sage leaves.  
  5. Place a few sage leaves on top.
  6. Place roast on top. Season with pepper then top the roast with the remaining sage leaves and cover with overlapping prosciutto.  
  7. Use the waxed paper to roll the bottom layer up and press into the sides of the bison.
  8. Tie the roast, then drizzle with light olive oil.
    NOTE: As you can see from my photo, I can't give any tips here since I'm not very good at tying meat. 
  9. Cover with foil then bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, reduce heat to 300 degrees F, and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees (medium rare), as measured with a meat thermometer. It took about 40 minutes for mine to reach that temperature.
  10. Transfer to a cutting surface and tent loosely with foil. Let rest for 10-15 minutes.
  11. Remove foil, slice, and serve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment