Adapted from www.bonappetit.com and www.freecoconutrecipes.com.
Makes 4 sandwiches, with leftover turkey.
4-5 cups pulled turkey, chicken, or pork
2 cups tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup water
2 Tbsp raw honey
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garam masala
3 Tbsp paleo mayonnaise
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp celery seeds
freshly ground black pepper
3 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup coconut oil, liquified
1/2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp sesame seeds, optional
- Saute bacon in a medium saucepan over medium heat until crispy, about 10 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients except turkey and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add turkey and stir to combine. Continue to cook over low heat until turkey is warmed.
- Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, and celery seeds in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cabbage; toss gently to coat.
- Cover bowl and chill until ready to use.
NOTE: Slaw can be made up to a day in advance.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flours, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Combine oil and lemon juice in a small bowl or liquid measuring cup.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to thoroughly combine. Let dough sit for 5 minutes.
- Scoop dough in 8 equal mounds onto the parchment paper, about 2 inches apart. Gently press the rounded center down a little with your fingers.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until top is lightly toasted.
To serve, scoop turkey onto the flat side of one bun, top with slaw, and place another bun on top.