Serves 6 - 8.
1 2-pound beef flank steak
freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp finely shredded lime peel
4 oz bulk Italian sausage
2 large onions
2 medium red, yellow, and/or green sweet peppers, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Score both sides of steak in diamond pattern, making shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals. Sprinkle steak with salt, pepper, and lime peel. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill 1 hour.
- Preheat grill and reduce heat to medium. Grill steak on rack of covered grill for approximately 7 minutes on each side (for grass-fed beef).
- While steak is cooking, preheat large cast-iron skillet next to steak or on stovetop. Add sausage; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add onions, sweet peppers, and garlic. Cook 8 - 10 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cilantro and vinegar (vinegar will sizzle). Remove from heat.
- To serve, thinly slice steak. Spoon sweet peppers and sausage mixture over steak slices.