1 cup water
2 onions sliced
1 bag baby carrots or one pound regular carrots peeled and chopped into 2-inch lengths
3 slices cooked bacon, roughly chopped (optional)
1 two-pound chuck roast (or larger)
freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp coconut oil or bacon fat
|Place onions, carrots, and bacon on top of roast.|
- Season the roast with salt and pepper.
- Warm fat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides (about 5 minutes on each side).
NOTE: You can also chop the raw bacon, cook it about half way, then add the beef to brown in the rendered bacon fat while the bacon finishes cooking.
- Place half of the onion, carrots, and water in the crock pot.
- Place browned roast on top of the vegetables.
- Spoon the remainder of the carrots and onions on top of roast so "the carrot and onion goodness flavors the top of the meat. Good stuff." (This is a direct quote from Rob!)
- Cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is falling-apart tender.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve family style.