Adapted from paleodish.com.
1 roasting chicken (mine was 3 1/2 pounds)
freshly ground black pepper
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
6 carrots, peeled and diced (2 cups)
2 onions, peeled and diced
6 stalks of celery, diced (2 cups)
32 ounces organic natural chicken stock
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes (I use Muir Glen Organics Fire Roasted.)
1 can full-fat coconut milk
juice of 1 lime
2 tsp chili paste
4 tsp red curry paste
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp turmeric
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp coconut aminos
full-fat coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Rinse chicken and dry thoroughly with paper towels inside and out.
- Season generously inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken on a rack in a roasting pan and cook for 45-60 minutes. Chicken does not have to be completely cooked as it will continue cooking in the broth.
- Remove chicken from oven, let cool, remove skin, and shred with your fingers or two forks.
- Set roasting pan on stovetop over medium heat. Add a little bit of the chicken stock to scrape up the browned bits (deglaze). Remove from heat.
- While chicken cooks, prepare the vegetables.
- Warm about 2 Tbsp coconut oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add diced vegetables and cook until crisp tender, about 20 minutes. Add pan drippings and the remainder of the chicken stock to a stock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes or more. The longer you simmer, the better. (I let mine simmer for about an hour.)
- To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with carrot shreds and a splash of coconut milk. (Cilantro would also be a great garnish but I did not have any on hand.)