1 lb hot or mild Italian sausage links
3 large bell peppers, cored and sliced - I used yellow, orange, and green
1 large red onion, peeled and sliced
2 - 4 plum tomatoes, sliced thick
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add tomato slices in a single layer and let sit for 2 - 3 minutes or until the bottom begins to turn orange and somewhat bubbly.
- Flip tomato slices and add onions, peppers, and garlic. Saute for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in seasonings and continue to cook, reducing heat to medium, until peppers are soft and mixture is thick, about 20 minutes.
- While veggies cook, grill sausages until they are no longer pink in the middle, about 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Cut sausages into bite-size pieces, mix into pepperonata, and serve.