Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Saffron Peas Pulao (or Paleo)

This is a favorite pre-paleo side from our local Indian restaurant. I was inspired to create a paleo version to accompany our Roganjosh. I've gotta say, it rivaled the take-out version--and that's saying a lot! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. This would also go well with kabobs of any sort.

The jury is out on peas and paleo. Some say yes, some say no. We very rarely have peas but I felt they were key to this recipe. If you are opposed to them, feel free to leave them out or substitute another veggie, such as chopped carrot.

Serves 3-4.

Adapted from My Saffron Kitchen.

Ingredients
4 cups cauliflower "rice" (1 large head cauliflower cleaned, cut into large pieces, and pulsed in a food processor or chopped until a rice-like consistency)
1 cup peas (I used frozen, but fresh would be fine)
1 tsp ground cumin
1-1 inch stick cinnamon
4 whole cloves
3 bay leaves, whole
1 large pinch saffron powder
2 Tbsp ghee (coconut oil can be substituted but ghee adds a more authentic flavor)
salt, to taste - I found it needed quite a bit

Preparation
  1. Heat ghee in a large, heavy skillet.
  2. Add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, and cumin. Saute for one minute.
  3. Add uncooked cauliflower rice and peas (no need to thaw); stir gently to coat.
  4. Add 1-1/2 cups water.
  5. Add saffron and salt. Mix well.
  6. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover and continue to simmer until almost all of the liquid has evaporated. 
  7. Remove and discard bay leaves, cinnamon, and cloves. Serve with Roganjosh.

2 comments:

  1. I made this for dinner tonight with Rogan josh. I didn't have any saffron, so I just added a couple of dashes of the Rogan josh spice mix. It was good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it, Peggy! Indian food is, fortunately, pretty easy to eat paleo. I love this combo and the fact that cauliflower morphs so easily into so many things! I appreciate your nice comments.

      Delete