The jury is out on peas and paleo. Some say yes, some say no. We very rarely have peas but I felt they were key to this recipe. If you are opposed to them, feel free to leave them out or substitute another veggie, such as chopped carrot.
Adapted from My Saffron Kitchen.
4 cups cauliflower "rice" (1 large head cauliflower cleaned, cut into large pieces, and pulsed in a food processor or chopped until a rice-like consistency)
1 cup peas (I used frozen, but fresh would be fine)
1 tsp ground cumin
1-1 inch stick cinnamon
4 whole cloves
3 bay leaves, whole
1 large pinch saffron powder
2 Tbsp ghee (coconut oil can be substituted but ghee adds a more authentic flavor)
salt, to taste - I found it needed quite a bit
- Heat ghee in a large, heavy skillet.
- Add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, and cumin. Saute for one minute.
- Add uncooked cauliflower rice and peas (no need to thaw); stir gently to coat.
- Add 1-1/2 cups water.
- Add saffron and salt. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover and continue to simmer until almost all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove and discard bay leaves, cinnamon, and cloves. Serve with Roganjosh.