I was first introduced to kale last year when I joined a local CSA. I did a lot of experimenting last summer, but when I tried this recipe, it beat all the others hands‐down. I did not use low‐sodium beef broth, so I skipped the added salt.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup diced Vidalia onion
- 1 1½-pound bunch kale, washed and chopped (I used 3 small bunches)
- ½ cup organic coconut milk
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large sauté pan, add olive oil and bacon and cook over medium heat until bacon begins to crisp and renders its fat.
- Add onions and cook until softened, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add kale and sauté until it wilts and combines with the onion and bacon.
- Add coconut milk and broth and continue to cook until kale softens, another 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.