3 6-oz wild salmon fillets, skin-on
1 to 2 large Vidalia onion(s)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + more for drizzling
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Season fillets with salt and pepper.
- Cut onion into 1/2-inch slices, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Combine 1/4 cup oil, vinegar, and mustard in a bowl, stirring with a whisk to combine. Separate glaze into two small bowls.
- Lightly coat fish skin with olive oil.
- Set onions on a grill topper or directly on the grill rack, being careful that the slices do not separate and slip through the grate. Grill for 2 - 3 minutes before putting salmon on the grill, brushing the onions with balsamic glaze every 2 minutes.
- Grill fillets, skin-side down, until they flake easily with a fork, about 6 - 8 minutes. Brush the top of the salmon with balsamic glaze every 2 minutes during grilling.
- Serve glazed salmon and onions with grilled portobello mushrooms.