Adapted from http://myhusbandcooks.wordpress.com.
50 medjool dates, pitted (I used extra large dates that I pitted myself.)
2 pounds nitrate-free, thick-cut bacon
1 pound fresh bulk chorizo sausage (Don't use the pre-cooked links, but if you can't find bulk, just remove the casing.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice each pitted dates lengthwise using a paring knife.
- Fill date with a small scoop of sausage. I used a baby food spoon to scoop.
- Lay bacon out on a cutting board and stretch it so that each piece is about 1/3 longer than when in the package. I used a pastry roller to roll the bacon out.
- Starting at one end, roll the bacon around a date so that it is covered 1 1/2 times. Cut the bacon and place the date, seam side down, on a rack fitted into a rimmed baking sheet. Continue rolling the dates until done.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until bacon is cooked.
|Use a small spoon to fill dates.|
|Place dates on a rack set in |
a rimmed baking sheet.