1 lb chicken tenders
1 can quartered artichokes, drained
1/2 cup julienned sun-dried tomatoes ( I used Bella Sun Luci bagged tomatoes.)
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp pine nuts or raw almonds, toasted, divided (If you use almonds, chop them after toasting.)
1 lb (4 small) zucchinis, ends trimmed
1 small red onion, sliced
5 oz baby spinach
1/3 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil + 1-2 Tbsp more to saute
1 large bunch (2 oz) fresh basil leaves
2 Tbsp fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
3 small or 2 large cloves garlic
freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse basil leaves and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- Toast pine nuts in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until browned.
- Put tomatoes in a bowl and add 1 cup of very hot water. Set aside.
- While pine nuts toast, prepare the zucchini by shaving one side with a peeler (I use one like this OXO Y-peeler) or mandoline (like this OXO slicer). Discard (or compost) the outer layer and continue shaving long, thin strips until you reach the seedy core. Flip the zucchini and repeat the process on the opposite side. When you reach the center, repeat the same process on either side until all you have left is the core. Save the core to chop up and mix in with your eggs in the morning.
- Slice onion very thin using a mandoline or sharp knife.
- Pulse garlic in food processor a couple of times, then add 1/4 cup pine nuts and basil. Pulse about 10 times until everything is finely chopped. With processor running, slowly add 1/3 cup olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Season chicken tenders with salt and pepper. Saute in 1-2 Tbsp olive oil until just cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onions and zucchini to pan and saute until just softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add spinach, in batches, and saute until wilted, but still bright green.
- Add in chicken, drained sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, and pesto (add pesto to taste and reserve the rest). Toss gently, over low heat, to combine. Serve topped with reserved pine nuts.