Adapted from Food&Wine 2003 Annual Cookbook.
16 strips of nitrate-free bacon
4 trout fillets (the whole fish, minus the head), cut lengthwise into 8 fillets
freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 200 degrees and insert 4 oven-proof dinner plates.
- Season each fillet with pepper and wrap with 2 slices of bacon, securing each with a toothpick. If the bacon is too long, just trim it off and reserve for another use.
- Heat a large cast iron or regular skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place 2 to 3 fillets, flesh side down and cook until bacon is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Flip the fish and cook an additional 3 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Carefully transfer the cooked fish to the warm plates and continue cooking the raw fish, in batches, until done.
- Transfer to plates and serve with grilled asparagus or your favorite veggie side dish. Don't forget to use your oven mitts to transfer the plates to the table--they're hot!