2 bunches of baby beets
2 small or 1 large peach, peeled, pitted, and diced over a small bowl (to catch any juices)
1/4 cup diced or thinly sliced carrots
1 large handful of fresh arugula
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
- Remove greens from beets, leaving 2 inches of stem. Reserve greens for another use. Wash beets and place them in a large sauce pan. Add water to cover 1 inch over the beets.
- Bring water to a rolling boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium and continue to boil for 30-45 minutes or until beets are soft when pierced with a fork.
- Carefully transfer pan to the sink, drain hot water, and run beets under cold water. Drain and let beets cool.
- While beets cool, whisk together dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap cooled beet in a paper towel and rub the beet stem and skin off with your hands. Continue with the remaining beets. Cut in 1/2 lengthwise.
- In a large bowl, toss together arugula, carrots, beets, and peaches and their juices. Add dressing and toss to combine.