Adapted from heal-balance-live.blogspot.com.
2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 heaping tsp baking soda
2/3 cup raw honey, liquified
2/3 cup coconut oil, liquified
4 large or 5 medium eggs
1/2 cup plus 3 Tbsp full-fat coconut milk
2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp lemon zest
juice of 2 lemons
zest of 1 lemon
1 vanilla bean or 2 tsp vanilla extract
4 Tbsp raw honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use coconut oil to grease a 9x9 baking pan. Cut parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan and place it over the coconut oil.
- Sift dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir with a whisk to combine.
- Place oil and honey in the bowl of a food processor and process for 1-2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add coconut milk, vanilla, and lemon zest, and continue to process until well combined.
NOTE: This step can be done in a large bowl with a hand mixer.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Use a wooden mixing spoon to thoroughly combine ingredients, pressing out any lumps.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The top will be lightly browned.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, run a butter knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake, and then turn it out onto a cake plate and let cool completely.
- While cake bakes, prepare the glaze by slitting vanilla bean lengthwise and scraping the beans into a small saucepan. Add the vanilla bean pod, lemon juice, zest, and honey to the pan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Remove pod and discard.
- Using a fork, poke holes in the top of the cake. Pour glaze over the cake, using a spatula to evenly distribute the glaze over the entire cake top. Let the cake rest for an hour to fully absorb the glaze. Serve immediately or cover and store in the refrigerator.