Adapted from doortodoororganics.com.
2-3 red bell peppers, seeded and cored (1 to 1 1/4 pounds)
1 pound tomatoes
1 large or 2 small onions, skin removed
1 heads garlic
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
2/3 cup full-fat coconut milk
1/2 cup olive oil
2 bay leaves
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cut the top off of the garlic bulb, making sure all of the cloves are exposed. You may need to cut the tops of the smaller cloves off with scissors.
- Place bulb in the center of a piece of foil. Drizzle the garlic with olive oil and seal the garlic by alternately folding in two opposite ends of the foil to make a secure packet. Place the garlic in preheated oven. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the garlic feels soft when you squeeze the packet.
NOTE: Garlic and be baked at the same time as veggies.
- Open the packet and let the garlic cool, then squeeze out the cloves.
- Cut red peppers and onions into eighths. Halve tomatoes and remove seeds. Place on a large, rimmed baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast for 30 minutes. Carefully remove from oven and flip mixture with a spatula or large spoon. Return pan to the oven and continue roasting for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned.
- In a large stock pot, add chicken broth, roasted vegetables, roasted garlic, and bay leaves. Simmer over medium heat for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and add basil. Use a stick blender to puree until smooth.
- Stir in coconut milk.
- To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls and garnish with basil and a swirl of coconut milk.