2 bunches beets
1 cup walnuts, chopped
2 Tbsp chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
dash hot sauce
freshly ground pepper
- Remove greens from beets, leaving 2 inches of stem. Reserve greens for another use. Wash beets and place them in a large sauce pan. Add water to cover 1 inch over the beets.
- Bring water to a rolling boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium and continue to boil for 30-45 minutes or until beets are soft when pierced with a fork.
- Carefully transfer pan to the sink, drain hot water, and run beets under cold water. Drain and let beets cool.
- While beets cool, whisk together dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Wrap cooled beet in a paper towel and rub the beet stem and skin off with your hands. continue with the remaining beets. Cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Combine beets, parsley, and walnuts in a medium bowl.
- To serve, spoon beets onto a plate and drizzle dressing on top.