Adapted from Food&Wine Magazine's 2002 Cookbook.
3 Tbsp coconut oil
1 med onion, coarsely chopped
1 Tbsp grated peeled fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 Tbsp curry powder
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 pounds shelled and deveined medium shrimp
2 Tbsp finely chopped mint
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the onion and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and just beginning to brown, about 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add the ginger, garlic, and curry. Be careful because the ginger will spatter if the heat is too high. Once spices are integrated, cook over medium heat, stirring until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and stock and simmer over medium heat until reduced by one third and thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the shrimp. Season with salt and cayenne, to taste, and simmer over medium heat until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the mint and lemon zest and serve in deep bowls.