1 1/2-2 lb flank steak
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp good-quality balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
4-5 sprigs fresh rosemary, cut into 2-inch lengths
4-5 springs fresh thyme
freshly ground black pepper
|Cutting a grid pattern into the steak |
helps to infuse the marinade flavor.
- Cut a 1-inch grid pattern in both sides of the steak, being careful not to cut through the steak.
- Season both sides of steak with salt and pepper.
- Combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and vinegar in a glass baking dish. Add steak to the dish and turn to coat. Place half of the herbs under the steak and half on top. Cover and let marinade at room temperature for 30 minutes or let it marinade in the refrigerator all day, but remove it 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- Preheat grill to medium high. Grill for approximately 5 minutes on each side or until steak reaches your desired degree of doneness.
- Transfer to a cutting board and loosely cover with foil. Let rest for 5 minutes. Cut in thin slices against the grain. Serve with salad with warm pecan vinaigrette or your favorite vegetable side.