2 fennel bulbs, ends trimmed, cores removed, and cut into eighths
9 mini beets or 4-5 regular beets
2 oranges, quartered, seeds removed
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp Dijon
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place beets in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Boil over medium heat until beets are fork-tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and rinse in cool water. Once cool, place beet in a paper towel and rub with your hands to remove beet skin. Repeat with remaining beets. Slice into 1/4-inch slices and place in medium bowl.
- While beets boil, place fennel and orange pieces in rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for approximately 20-30 minutes or until soft.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Add roasted fennel and oranges to beets in the medium bowl. Add dressing and toss gently to combine.
- To serve, divide mixture evenly among 3 or 4 plates. Sprinkle with walnuts. Garnish with fennel fronds, if desired. Great served as a side dish with orange-ginger swordfish.