This is an old favorite. You basically just clean out your veggie drawer and use up all of those items that are ready to eat. The more color and variety, the better. The key to even cooking is to make sure you cut everything to the same basic size so that it's all ready at the same time. This recipe includes a great balsamic dressing to enhance the flavor. We enjoyed this with simple salt and pepper ribeye steaks. As I always say, throw any leftovers in with your eggs in the morning.
2 steaks of your choice
freshly ground black pepper
Vegetables (this may vary)
2 carrots, trimmed and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
1 sweet red pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 small onions or 1/2 large onion, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces, layers separated
2 patty pan squash or 1 medium zucchini squash, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 lb asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 1 to 1 1/2-inch lengths
2 garlic scapes, cut into 1-inch lengths, or 1 clove garlic, minced
1 handful fresh basil leaves, cut chiffonade (in thin ribbons)
1 Tbsp good-quality balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
|Mound veggies on foil with |
more delicate veggies on top.
- Place two 18-inch square pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil side by side on a flat work surface. (If using regular foil, double it up.) Layer 1/2 of the vegetables, in the order listed above (carrots first), on each piece of foil. If using different vegetables, it is important to layer the heartier vegetables on the bottom and the more delicate on top.
- Place all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour half of the dressing over each mound of vegetables.
- Fold the top and bottom ends of the foil over the vegetables, then fold the left and right sides until you have a secure square pack.
- Preheat grill to medium high. Place veggie packs on the grill and cook, without turning the packs, for about 15 minutes. Check the vegetables by carefully opening a pack with tongs. Cover and continue cooking, if necessary, until they are crisp-tender.
- While vegetables cook, season steaks with salt and pepper and grill to your desired degree of doneness, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- To serve, carefully open the veggie packs with tongs to release the steam. Transfer the vegetables and sauce to plates and serve alongside steaks.
|Overlap the top and bottom ends |
of foil, then the left and right ends.