Adapted from cfscceat.blogspot.com.
2 pounds all-natural, nitrate-free, bulk Italian sausage
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
2 15-oz cans organic pumpkin puree
32 ounces organic chicken stock
3/4 cups coconut milk
1 tsp ground cinnamon
freshly ground black pepper
2 bay leaves
2 Tbsp toasted walnuts, chopped
2 Tbsp pear, finely minced
- Saute sausage in a large stock pot over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add onion and continue to saute, stirring occasionally until sausage is just cooked through and onion becomes clear, 10-15 minutes. Add garlic for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Carefully remove all but 1 Tbsp oil from the pan.
- Add pumpkin and broth to pan. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in cinnamon and bay leaves. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and stir to combine. Simmer an additional 5 minutes. At this point you can serve or transfer to a crock pot to keep warm until ready to serve.
- To serve, ladle into soup bowls. Garnish with pears and walnuts.