Adapted from Cooking Light, July 2010.
1 pound ground lamb
1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
2 Tbsp minced garlic, divided
3/4 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
dash of grated whole nutmeg
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh mint, divided
3/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
2 red bell peppers
1 red onion
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and shallots; cook 15 minutes or until onions are golden, stirring frequently. Stir in 1-1/2 Tbsp garlic, cumin, and next 6 ingredients (through nutmeg); cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Combine lamb, onion mixture, 2 Tbsp mint, and 1/4 tsp salt. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, gently shaping each into a 1/2-inch thick patty. Cover and chill until ready to grill.
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin side up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 9 minutes or until blackened. Place in a covered dish or zip-top bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. The skins should now peel off easily. Peel and cut each pepper portion in half.
- Cut red onion into 4 thin slices. Save the rest for another use.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle patties with remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper. Place patties on a grill rack coated with olive oil; grill 4 minutes or until grill marks appear. Carefully turn patties; grill 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.
- To serve, squeeze or drizzle lemon juice on each patty. Top with red onion and two red pepper strips.