Adapted from Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals, Mark Sisson and Jennifer Meier.
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup coconut aminos
2 Tbsp coconut or apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
2 cups grated cauliflower, about 1/2 a head (I pulsed in a food processor.)
2 carrots, grated or very thinly sliced
1 cup frozen spinach or 2 large handfuls fresh spinach
1/2 pound sirloin or flank steak, sliced thin
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced (Shiitakes are in the original recipe, but I used creminis I had on hand.)
1 sheet dried seaweed (nori), cut into thin strips
1 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
3 scallions, chopped
- Preheat oven to the lowest setting, or around 200 degrees F.
- Select two large, shallow bowls for individual serving. Keep these bowls warm in the oven, carefully removing them to add each ingredient as it is ready, then replacing them in the warm oven.
- To make marinade, combine garlic, aminos, vinegar, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Place beef and mushrooms in separate bowls and pour half of the marinade over each. Set aside.
- Warm cauliflower "rice" in the microwave for about 4 minutes or until soft. Divide evenly among the two serving bowls.
- Warm 1 Tbsp coconut (olive or sesame) oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute carrots for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned, then divide evenly between serving bowls. Add spinach to pan and saute until soft, then transfer to serving bowls.
- Add another Tbsp oil, if needed, and fry eggs in pan until whites are firm and yolks are the firmness you desire. I like mine over easy, but over medium seemed to work well for this recipe. Remove from pan and transfer, either whole or sliced, to serving bowls.
- Increase heat to high and add about 1 Tbsp oil. Remove beef from marinade, reserving marinade in bowl. Saute steak for 3-5 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to serving bowls.
- Add mushrooms, reserving marinade in bowl, to pan and saute until soft, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to serving bowls.
- Pour reserved marinade into saute pan and boil gently for 3 minutes.
- Carefully remove warm serving bowls from oven and pour half of marinade over each one. Add optional garnishes, if desired. Serve immediately.