Monday, January 24, 2011

Fish with Romesco Sauce

When I saw this recipe, I knew it was the perfect way to use the sweet cherry tomatoes I have growing in my garden that all seem to ripen at the same time. This is a Spanish sauce which, when I doubled it, was a bit too vinegary for my taste. I did use sherry vinegar (called for in the original recipe) since I had it in the pantry, but next time I will sub with apple cider or coconut vinegar, which I listed in the recipe. I ended up adding cinnamon, which mellowed the flavor and offered a nice balance. Leftover sauce is great on eggs, but can also be used on steak, chicken, or any meat, really. Fish was on our menu and this went very well with it. Enjoy!

Adapted from Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals, Mark Sisson and Jennifer Meier.

Serves 2.

Ingredients
2 fish fillets, any type
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup raw almonds, whole or sliced
2 garlic cloves
1 roasted red pepper (roast your own or use jarred)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 to 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or coconut vinegar
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 package fresh baby spinach
1 tsp minced fresh garlic

Preparation
  1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes, garlic cloves, and almonds to skillet. Saute, stirring occasionally so that the ingredients brown evenly, for 5 minutes or until tomatoes are soft. Transfer mixture to the bowl of a food processor. Add red pepper, olive oil, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and cinnamon, and process until smooth.
  2. Season fish with salt and pepper. Add coconut oil to pan over medium-high heat.
  3. Add fish to pan and saute 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
  4. In the meantime, add a little coconut oil to another pan and saute spinach and 1 tsp minced garlic until wilted, but still bright green. Season with salt and pepper.
  5. Divide spinach evenly between plates. Transfer fish to plate and top with warm Romesco sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment