Friday, January 21, 2011

Cucumber-Tomato Salad

My children uncovered 10 huge cucumbers and several tomatoes in our garden yesterday. Time to put them to good use! This salad is simple to prepare and very adaptable. I actually made it three times this week! I used what I had on hand, so feel free to switch up the herbs and vegetables you include in your salad. You can also adjust the quantities to your liking. The apple cider vinegar adds a gentle tang to the salad. The whole combination is light and refreshing. I've served this with burgers and with shrimp, but it would also go well with grilled chicken or steak. Enjoy!

Ingredients
2 medium-to-large cucumbers, peeled, seeded, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/3-inch slices
3 medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1-inch dice, or about 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
8-10 large basil leaves, cut in thin ribbons or "chiffonade"
2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
1 tsp snipped fresh chives
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

Preparation
  1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring gently to combine.
  2. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to let flavors combine.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry, but I don't see cucumber anywhere in this salad. How many cucumbers. 1?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uurgh! I HATE when I do that! So sorry for the oversight, Anon. Although you can add a variable amount of cucumber to this dish, I usually make it with two medium-to-large cucumbers, peeled and seeded. Updating the recipe right now. Thanks for calling that to my attention!

      Delete