Adapted from JensGonePaleo.
4 bacon strips, sliced into 1" pieces
2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
2 pounds yams, peeled and cut into large pieces (you can also substitute carrots or squash)
16-oz jar of salsa
1 cup chicken stock or water
1 Tbsp sea salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
You can use a crock pot or a dutch oven for this recipe; I used a crockpot. If using a dutch oven, steps 1 through 6 can be done in the dutch oven, then covered and transferred to a preheated 325°F for approximately 4.5 hours.
|Place browned roast on top of yams, then |
cover with salsa and stock or water.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add bacon and cook about half way.
- Season the roast with salt and pepper. Add the roast to the heated skillet with the bacon and brown, about 5 minutes. Turn the roast over and brown the other side, another 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
- Use tongs to remove the roast from the skillet and transfer to crock pot. Add yams to the skillet and toss in bacon fat until they are coated.
- Transfer yams and bacon bits to the crock pot, lifting roast to set on top of the yams.
- Top the roast with salsa and stock (or water).
- Cook in crock pot on low for 9 hours or until roast is fork tender and easily pulls apart. (Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your roast and crock pot temperature.)
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer roast and yams to a serving platter or plates. Garnish with the reserved salsa.
NOTE: Yams will be very soft, I usually fork mash them prior to eating. If you prefer firmer yams, add them to the crock pot half way through the cook time.