I prepare my mayonnaise by hand to allow better control over the emulsification process. It still takes only about 5 minutes to make. If you prefer, you can use a food processor; just be sure to add the olive oil very slowly to ensure your mayonnaise emulsifies properly. Also, to avoid the strong flavor of regular extra virgin olive oil, I use only light tasting olive oil in my mayonnaise. This is great served as a dipping sauce with grilled shrimp.
2 egg yolks
2 tsp Dijon mustard
3 tsp lemon juice
1 cup extra light olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
2 cups firmly packed fresh basil2 garlic cloves, minced
- Pulse basil and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Set aside.
- Place egg yolks, 1 tsp mustard, and 1 tsp lemon juice in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Slowly whisk in olive oil, a little at a time, until mixture emulsifies. Continue adding olive oil until mixture is thick and creamy. Add remaining mustard and lemon juice, whisking to incorporate.
- Fold in chopped basil and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to combine. Mayonnaise can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.